A Curriculum to Build the Knowledge of Educators, Human Services, Families, and Transit regarding Transportation Education and Travel Instruction
The goal of this transportation education curriculum is to provide educators, transit professionals, families, and others with strategies for integrating transportation content, including travel instruction, into the educational experience for students, including students with disabilities. The curriculum consists of an Introduction and nine modules.
This curriculum can:
- Help learners understand why public transportation education is critical to students’ post-secondary success
- Provide a framework for transportation education from student assessment though the provision of travel instruction
- Demonstrate how transportation and education professionals can work together to address student transportation needs
- Provide best practices for engaging students, families, transit professionals and the community in transportation education
- Provide resources to help educators and transportation professionals succeed in meeting student educational needs
- Learn about transportation resources, such as mobility management systems, that can be used by educators
Videos are included in some of the modules, and templates and tools are available to download and customize to a learner’s own setting. Recommended software includes an internet browser (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer) and YouTube for video viewing.
Please complete the evaluation survey at the conclusion of each module to provide immediate feedback. If you have any additional suggestions for this material, or identify any technical or content errors, please contact Judy Shanley, Assistant Vice President, Easterseals Education & Youth Transition, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This curriculum was originally developed by Easter Seals Project ACTION in partnership with Chicago Public Schools and the Chicago Regional Transportation Authority. Please note, that since the development of this curriculum, MAP-21 has been reauthorized as the FAST Act (Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act).